Tuesday 19 May 2009

Actors

<><><><><><><>

It has been an interesting week; I acted in some short plays and read Dame Judi Dench’s biography by John Miller. I always liked Judi Dench, enjoyed her wonderful performances in As Time goes By and Mrs Brown and those horribly punny 007 movies. Anyway my grandmother was gushing over the biography and I felt pressured to read it.

It was a beautiful read and now I want to see the videos of the plays that she has performed in.
I also want to see her accept her award from Robin Williams. What came through the book is what a special person she is to those around her and her sense of humour and that she is a wonderful actor. I wish I saw her perform when she did a show in Melbourne a few years ago.
I also wish I saw more theatre. Anyone up for a trip to the MTC?

<><><><><><><>

When driving to my performance on Friday, 774ABC was eulogising an Australian actor, it took about twenty seven minutes for me to realise that they were talking about Charles ‘Bud’ Tingwell.

No one at the theatre seemed to know who he was, what he did or even cared.

I was a bit moved by the news. I know that most of his career was before my time but I will always remember him, especially as the lawyer in the movie “The Castle” Directed by Rob Sitch and Produced by Working Dog Productions

<><><><><><><>

No man is an island, entire of itself
Every man is a piece of the continent,
A part of the main
If a clod be washed away by the sea,
Europe is the less,
As well as if a promontory were,
As well as if a manor of thy friends or of thine own were
Any man's death diminishes me,
Because I am involved in mankind
And therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls
It tolls for thee.

by John Donne

<><><><><><><>

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I for one am up for the MTC next time i am in town, hopefully we can find a baby sitter.

It was sad to hear about the loss of Bud TINGWELL, he was a great actor and from all accounts appeared to be a genuinely good person.

It is surprising the good people of RMIT did not know who he was.

maybe we are just getting old.

Aidan